Tuesday, March 30, 2021

88/365

3.29.2021: Once upon a time there was a hawk ... and there was a snake. This is a true story that happened today on Kennesaw Mountain. I saw a beautiful red-tailed hawk land in a tree next to the road to the top of the mountain. Being very patient (because I’m retired and have a little time on my hands) I watched the hawk as he was keeping his eyes on something on the other side of the road. My camera was ready. Suddenly the hawk sprang from the tree and streaked across the road. He pounced into the brush and commenced fighting for his lunch. It wasn’t much of a fight. Hopefully my photos tell the story. The hawk making his move … using is razor sharp talons to grab the snake … chowing down … and leaving the scene of the crime flying away up the mountain road. You may want to enlarge the photos to catch his intent eyes, talons at work, and beautiful feathers. I was only a few feet away and in one shot you can see him staring at me as to say, “I’m not sharing my lunch.” Note: no hawks were injured during this photo shoot. I cannot say the same for the snake. (See complete series of photos at https://www.flickr.com/photos/spiffhappens/albums/72157718819057657

No comments: