Friday, May 5, 2023

How I got into radio

What did you want to do after leaving high school or graduating from college?  Did you achieve your dream or go in a totally different direction?  What’s your story?  Here is mine.

While in high school, a career in radio was the furthest thing from my mind.  It was the mid-60s, the Space Race with the Russians was in high gear, and I wanted to be part of it.  I was always good at math and science, so I decided being an aeronautical engineer would be a great way to join the team at NASA in their quest to put a man on the moon and travel to the stars.  Heck, I even had not one, but two slide rules.  I breezed through Algebra, Geometry and Advanced Algebra.  I went to summer school before my senior year to take Solid Geometry and Trigonometry in order to take a college level Calculus class before graduating high school.  But then it happened.  Calculus stopped me faster than a bug hitting my 66 Mustang’s window at 70mph.  I was completely lost.  What’s a science/math geek to do?  It’s obvious … change my career plans to … RADIO?  Let me explain.  I was a huge St. Louis Cardinals baseball fan growing up.  I would listen (on my transistor radio) to Jack Buck and Harry Caray call the games on KMOX.  I love baseball and thought I too could become a play-by-play announcer.  So, I somehow convinced my parents that by attending “Career Academy of Famous Broadcasters” in Milwaukee, that in a few short months I would become the next Vin Scully.  (I’m sure that I showed Mom and Dad some mathematical formula proving my theory.)  Well, the sports announcer thing did not pan out (that is another story,) but after graduating from Career Academy, I did land a job in radio in a small midwestern town.  And although I did not achieve my dream of shooting for the stars, I did manage to rub elbows with the stars of stage, screen, sports, and Rock’n Roll.  What a rocket ride it has been.

Spiff (I sucked at calculus) Carner


5 comments:

Kennesaw, GA said...

Remember that time before college you spent in the swamp just listening to the sounds on the radio? Those were the days my friend.

Anonymous said...

Great story!
My wife and I loved you and Randy at Fox great days !!

Dave Smith said...

I actually head an on-air ad for an announcer job. I figure nobody else was willing to work for minimum wage.......

Anonymous said...

I couldn't spell either...... "heard"

Spiff said...

To "Kennesaw, GA" May 6th comment: Yes, I remember those days in the swamp. And that's all I can say about that. Wink, wink, nod, nod, know what I mean?