Tuesday, January 19, 2021

19/365

1.19.21: It was 1989 and we (Randy & Spiff) were in the midst of a fun phone topic during our morning show on Fox 97. The topic was “embarrassing dates.” The phones lines were jammed as Randy cracked open our mics and I prompted the listener, “What’s your name and tell us your embarrassing date story.” “Hello, this is Don Sutton and …” I interrupted, “THE Don Sutton?” “Yes,” he said. “THE LA Dodgers Don Sutton?” I asked. Again, he replied, “Yes.” “THE Don Sutton who is now a Braves broadcaster?” I queried. “That’s me,” Don responded. “Okay, THE Don Sutton … go ahead,” I said. Don then spun a very humorous tale that took place when he was pitching in the minor leagues. His date night ended abruptly when somehow, he put his foot into a large bowl of French Onion dip. 

As it turned out, THE Don Sutton was a fan our show and frequent listener. Through the years he often called in. We became friends. When there was a charity “Don Sutton Roast,” he requested that Randy & I be included on the panel of celebrities that poked fun of him that evening. I remember completely covering a baseball in blue ink and presenting it to Don that evening telling him that I had every major league player who hit a tape measure home run off of him, sign that ball. He thought that was quite funny. I loved listening to Don broadcast the Braves games. His stories, insight and sense of humor added so much to the broadcasts. 

I can hear Saint Peter now … “THE Don Sutton? THE Baseball Hall of Fame Don Sutton? Don’t just stand there in the on-deck circle, step through those Pearly Gates!” RIP, my friend.

19/365

No comments: