Wednesday, June 15, 2016

We have met the enemy, and they are us.

I have been watching the news, listening to the news, reading the news and following social media. I am saddened by how Americans are treating each other. There is a huge divide in the country and I believe that more people know the meaning of the word “twerking” than the meaning of the word “compromise.” Unity is out … “my way or the highway” is in. Let’s forgive our enemies, but not our neighbors, seems to be the “in thing” to do. I am right … you’re an idiot. My facts are 100% undeniable … your facts are nothing more than lies. In my opinion our political leaders and the media shoulders much of the blame. The nation’s capital appears to be a large daycare center filled with spoiled children that do not or cannot get along with each other. The media gives me the impression that with almost every news story they must add their own commentary and/or slanted view because they believe that the average citizen is not smart enough to form their own opinion. A line has been drawn in the sand and heaven forbid either side should approach that line and offer to have an intelligent discussion about the problems facing this country. I imagine that our enemies in this world are gleefully watching us destroy ourselves from within and thinking to themselves … “I guess it is true, ‘Divide and Conquer’ does work.”

1 comment:

Pati Herlinger said...

Well put, Spiff. I think each senator and representative should be compelled to spend a week "on vacation" with another senator or rep of the opposing party. Just the 2 of them. Then they can have honest, real conversations and maybe report back on how it went and what they learned. It could be a watershed moment for our country.